Village News and Announcements

The SAM Camera results are now being analysed - The maximum speed recorded in the village is 55mph in the 30mph limit. The AVERAGE speed recorded over a one hour period was 36.3mph - in the 30 limit - over 20 cars.  


Please can villagers take care in the village - slow down - be cautious - the figures make fairly scarey reading.




The Parish Council is looking to recruit a new Parish Clerk:


Parish Clerk and Responsible Finance Officer

South Walsham Parish Council is looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated person to take on the role of Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer.

The post is for ten hours per week. This includes attendance at all Parish Council meetings (of which there are 11 per annum) and responsibility for the finances of the Council and its risk management. Candidates should have book keeping, communication, IT and organisational skills. Pay will be in line with NALC guidelines and according to experience and qualifications. Support and training will be provided. For further information please contact the Chairman 01603 270058 07771632165 Applications by CV and an accompanying letter.  Closing date 21st June 2019




Nominees for the European elections:





The Parish Council election results have now been announced: 




I, the undersigned being the RETURNING OFFICER at the election of PARISH COUNCILLORS for the


Of the


Held on the

Thursday, 2 May 2019


do hereby give notice that the number of votes recorded for each candidate at the election is as follows:






Number of votes recorded. (If elected write 'elected' against the number of votes)














































The number of ballot papers rejected was as follows:-


a) want of official mark.................................................................


b) voting more candidates than the voter was entitled to.............


c) writing or mark by which voter could be identified....................


d) being unmarked or wholly void for uncertainty.........................







And I do hereby declare that the said Darren John Debbage, John Thomas Debbage, Malcolm John Dennis, Roger Robert Jones, Amanda Claire Miller, William Rodney Russell and Malcolm John Steward are duly elected as PARISH COUNCILLORS for the PARISH OF SOUTH WALSHAM


Turnout 40%







Dated: Friday, 3 May, 2019








The District Councillor results are now in:





The latest copy of the Broads Briefing is now available here:[UNIQID]&u=b957c2a429d58a35f9137b9c7&id=bb6f2a1e95





The Mobile Library timetable has changed: 


The bus will now be stopping four weekly on a FRIDAY at between 10.40 and 11.00am at Hill Farm.

The first visit will be Friday 17th May 2019.



Statement as to persons nominated for the Parish Council elections on 2nd May 2019:







Can you HELP?


The Village Hall Trustees have a wealth of local history information and records in their safekeeping.  These include photographs, documents, films and other memorabilia going back through the village history.  THe trustees are now keen to be able to make those items available to all, and to preserve them for future generations.


The Trustees feel that a website with the information uploaded would be a great way to make them accessible, and would ask that anyone who can help in any way, or would like to be involved in the project get in touch - via the Parish Clerk Sarah Hunt - on 01692 580859 email


This would be a fantastic resource for the Parish but the Trustee's need help to move it forwards. 




A Safer Neighbourhood Action Panel (SNAP) meeting will take place on Thursday 18 April 2019, 7pm Acle Police Station.

The meeting will give people the chance to raise any issues or concerns they may have about where they live and speak to panel members made up of representatives from the police, district council and other agencies.



Public Notice

A Public Spaces Protection Order has been implemented across the whole of Broadland District requiring those in charge of dogs to clear up after them on all land open to the public.

The order is in effect as of 1st March 2019.


The Order applies to the following land:


All roads and highways

Public footpaths and verges



Sports and recreations grounds

Parks and public open spaces

Agricultural land and common land (unless the land owner has expressed permission to the contrary)


The maximum penalty for failing to comply with the order is £1,000 and the fixed penalty notice is £100.


A copy of the order can be viewed via the Council’s website:

Please telephone the Environmental Health Department on 01603 430488 for queries relating to any aspect of the Order.                   







Kings Arms Planning Application to go to Appeal - Letter received by Parish Council from Broadland District Council

Land At: The Kings Arms,1 Panxworth Road,South Walsham,NR13 6DY

Proposed Development: Conversion of Existing Building to 2 no. Dwellings and Erection of 1 no. Bungalow

Appeal Starting Date: 11 February 2019

Appellant: Elizabeth Estates (NWB) Ltd Appeal Ref: 19/3220005

An appeal has been made to the Secretary of State against the decision of the Council to refuse permission for the above development.

The Planning Inspectorate has accepted the appeal which will be determined on the basis of written representations. The procedure to be followed is set out in Part 2 of the Town and Country Planning (Appeals) (Written Representations Procedure) (England) Regulations 2009.

We have forwarded all representations made to us on the application to the Planning Inspectorate and the Appellant and those views will be taken into account by the Inspector in determining the appeal. This does not, however, preclude the submission of additional comments, if desired.

If you wish to make any further comments, or modify or withdraw your previous representation, you can do so on the Planning Portal at or by emailing or online at

If you do not have access to the internet you can send your comments to the Planning Inspectorate, Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6PN, quoting the appeal reference above.

The Council's reasons for refusal, a copy of the application and plans showing the location of the site, the Appellant's grounds of appeal and the Council’s Statement may be inspected at the Council’s Office, between the hours of 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday. The Council's Statement will be available for inspection by 18 March 2019.

The above details are also available online at by inserting 20181009 and then pressing the search button. On the next screen click on the application number and on the following screen click on “View Documents” – this will bring up a list of available documents for the application.

It is understood that you are the owner or occupier of property in proximity to the appeal site, or may be affected by the proposed development and I have been asked by the Planning Inspectorate to give you notice of the Appeal. All representations must be received by 18 March 2019.

Any representations submitted after the deadline will not usually be considered and will be returned. The Planning Inspectorate does not acknowledge representations. All representations must quote the appeal reference. Failure to comply with this deadline will mean that your views will not be taken into account. It should be made clear that in order to be considered by the Inspector any such written comments will be disclosed to the parties to the appeal. A copy of the Planning Inspectorate’s booklet “Guide to taking part in planning appeals” is available on

When made, the decision will be published online at and the District Council’s websites.



Campaign aims to SCRAP fly-tipping in Norfolk


Norfolk has launched the SCRAP fly-tipping campaign today which aims to fight the blight of fly-tipping in the county and cut the annual £1m clear up cost.

The campaign reminds people to check their waste is being taken away for disposal by a licensed carrier – either by asking to see a Waste Carriers Licence* or by looking up the company on the Environment Agency website. 

Cllr John Fisher, Chairman of the Norfolk Waste Partnership, said: “I hate to see fly-tipping and I know the vast majority of people do too. Fly-tipping is illegal, unsightly and pollutes the environment. 

"There are lots of ways that people can legally get rid of the things they no longer want, so in addition to asking people to avoid giving their waste to rogue traders, the SCRAP campaign will be highlighting how people can dispose of items and stay within the law.

“We’re urging people to follow the simple SCRAP code and are reminding people that if it’s their waste it’s their responsibility.”

People can avoid an unlimited fine by following the SCRAP code:

S uspect ALL waste carriers
C heck with the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 that the provider taking your waste away is licensed
R efuse unexpected offers to have waste taken away
A sk what will happen to your waste
P aperwork should be obtained – get a full receipt

All of Norfolk’s councils, the Environment Agency, Norfolk Constabulary, and the NFU and CLA are joining together to support the SCRAP fly-tipping campaign.

SCRAP is based on an award-winning and successful campaign continuing to be developed by the Hertfordshire Waste Partnership and its partner authorities, which in addition to now including Norfolk, also includes Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Kent, Lancaster and Corby, with more joining all the time.

Roger Thomas from the Environment Agency, said: “People who fly-tip have no respect for
 the environment and no regard for the consequences to you if you are found guilty of a waste offence.

“Don’t give your waste to anyone you haven’t checked out on our website at GOV.UK. Alternatively you can call our National Customer Contact Centre on 03708 506506 who will check for you. A legitimate operator should be happy to provide you with a waste carrier number.

“If you believe the waste service offered to you is illegal you can report this anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

PC Dave Armstrong of Norfolk Constabulary said: “Fly-tipping is an offence: one that poses a risk to people and the environment. This campaign offers practical and helpful advice on how people can dispose of their unwanted items and stay on the right side of the law. We would encourage members of the public to contact their local council if they have any concerns about the issue in the area.”


NFU Norfolk County Adviser John Newton, said: “Fly-tipping is harming Norfolk’s beautiful countryside, posing a danger to wildlife and livestock and costing farmers and landowners time and money to clear away. We’re pleased it is being tackled in partnership with the police, local authorities and other organisations. The key message of the SCRAP campaign is that the public can make a real difference by ensuring their waste is disposed of responsibly.”

The CLA (Country Land and Business Association) represents farmers, landowners and rural businesses across Norfolk. CLA Regional Surveyor Tim Woodward said: “Fly-tipping is a crime that blights the Norfolk countryside and this campaign will hopefully raise awareness of simple steps members of the public can take to ensure their waste doesn’t end up in a field or on a roadside verge.

“It is not only local councils that have to pick up the bill for clearing fly-tipped waste. Private landowners are responsible for removing rubbish dumped on their land and picking up the bill for doing so, which can often run into hundreds of pounds each time.

“With nearly 1-million incidents of fly-tipping nationally last year action is clearly needed to combat this issue.”

For more information about the campaign, fly-tipping and legal ways to get rid of unwanted items,




Parish Council Meetings Dates for 2019:


Any items for the agenda, correspondence or invoices for payment must be sent to the clerk before the cut off date for inclusion in the meeting




Monday 7th January 2019

Friday 28th December 2018


No meeting

Monday 18th March 2019

Friday 8th March 2019

Monday 1st April 2019        Annual PARISH Meeting

Friday 15th March 2019

Monday 1st April 2019

Friday 22nd March 2019

Monday 13th May 2019  Annual COUNCIL Meeting

Friday 3rd May 2019

Monday 3rd June 2019

Friday 24th May 2019

Monday 1st July 2019

Friday 21st June 2019


No meeting

Monday 2nd September 2019

Friday 23rd August 2019

Monday 7th October 2019

Friday 27th September 2019

Monday 4th November 2019

Friday 25th October 2019

Monday 2nd December 2019

Friday 22nd November 2019



All Parish Council meetings are held in the

Village Hall, School Road at 7.30 pm.

Members of the public are very welcome to attend

There is the opportunity at each meeting for members of the public to ask questions.




If you see any problems on public rights of way or Highways then they can be reported straight to Norfolk County Council here: